Thursday, January 27, 2011

Singapore Food Trip

Please allow me to take 6 minutes and 32 seconds of your time to view this video about Singapore's Favorite Hawker Food. Video courtesy of Annette from Singapore. I'm so proud of her for creating such beautiful and informative video. I personally like the video as it summarizes almost all the kinds of Singapore food that you can find in the hawker center.







For me food is ultimately my best friend. I love to eat and although I have always told myself to control my diet, the craving is just irresistible! I have been in Singapore for quite a while now and I have tasted almost every kind of Singapore fare there is, set right before me whenever I visit their local eating places.






Tau Foo soup 
Now why do I introduce you to the hawker center? It is because some of you may not be familiar with it or perhaps you are used to dine in an air-conditioned setting where the environment is more desirable to have your meal. Well, in a hawker center, you will be surprised that before you can even start to savor the food that you ordered from a stall, your forehead is already dripping with sweat. This is true.



So what is hawker food then?



Hawker food are food sold at a hawker center, otherwise known as food center, an open - air complex that houses many stalls selling a variety of food that are not just friendly to your stomach but also friendly to your pocket. Here in Singapore, they are typically found near Housing Development Board or HDB flats (apartments), transport hubs like train station and bus interchange and near shopping emporiums.



Hawker centers offer diverse Singapore cooking at its best. Whether it's a simple dish worth $3 or a three - course meal of barbecued fish, fried vegetables and chili prawns worth $20, the cost is reasonably more affordable than what you have to pay for the same meal when dining in a restaurant plus you are pampered with the same delectable taste.



So in case you are by chance having a trip here in Singapore and you are on a tight budget or  you just wish to sample Singapore's authentic cuisines, I wish to recommend some of the more notable hawker centers in Singapore I personally like to visit.



  • Bukit Timah Food Center

  • Chinatown Complex

  • Changi Village Food Center 

  • East Coast Park Food Center

  • East Coast Park Seafood Center

  • Lau Pa Sat                                               

But for a more comprehensive list you can try visiting this website www.myhawkers.sg which offers useful information on hawker centers and food stalls found in Singapore.                                                                  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...