Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Mt. Seorak National Park, South Korea

A new day beckoned, the morning sun cast its brilliant rays across the land, creating a masterpiece. The stinging chill of daybreak was like a slap to my face, turning it rosy in a heartbeat. This day was filled with much anticipation for my trip to one of the most popular and breathtaking peaks in South Korea.





After a fun-filled day on Jeju Island, we boarded for a domestic flight yet once again and this time to Gimpo to take us to our next destination for this tour. We were headed to Gangwon province in eastern South Korea to experience the most visited peak of Mount Seorak National Park. On board the tour bus that would take us to the place, I was ecstatic to finally have my first winter discovery unveiled!





Mt. Seorak is the third highest peak in South Korea about 5600 feet and is part of the 300-mile long Taebaek Mountain Range running along the country's east coast. According to locals, Mt. Seorak was actually one of the world's  largest single slabs of granite. In November of 1965, the Mt. Seoraksan Mountain District was designated as a Natural Monument Preservation Area and in August of 1982, A Biosphere Preservation District by UNESCO. It was named Mt. Seorak due to its whitish granite face which looked like white snow capped on a mountain.









So Mt. Seorak National Park is my next featured itinerary for my trip in South Korea.





My heart palpitated wildly and somersaulted in excitement as the tour bus came to a halt to our featured destination of the day. I alighted from the bus and smelt the richness of my surroundings. In the distance, scenes of eternal snow dusted the mountain range. It felt like I was teleported into another realm of life, away from my city-inducted reality, and was warmly welcomed (though chilly in a sense) by a breath of fresh, cool and crisp mountain air. A perfect start to realign myself with nature's rhythm.









The entrance to the park was marked by a statue of a great 'Black Bear', proudly guarding the park from its great pedestal.









Our real adventure was just about to begin as we took a scenic gondola ride (cable car ride) that would take us to the viewing deck of the peak. From there a hiking trail would lead us up to the summit with spectacular view of the beautiful earth's elevation covered in white powdery snow.









The foliage of trees with snow-covered branches and the snow-dusted mountain range were beautiful canvas of winter whites slate, with ornate details of brown, green, grey and blue hues. The snow-filled stairwell paved a narrow meandering path through the snow covered surroundings that was just awe-inspiring.











I began my climb effortlessly beforehand, but as I got higher, the ascent had become grueling and the snow turned everything very slippery, pretty dangerous if ever I tripped and slid down below, crashing myself to fellow hikers following my trail just like a domino!





The sight of the breathtaking mountain range had emboldened me to climb to the very top of this peak if only to get an encompassing view of this dramatic vista and my self-pride, of course! With so much determination, I made my ultimate ascent to the summit. Oh my, it was just a jaw-dropping view that yet again I had never seen in my entire life! The granite rock formation were so huge and dominant and the snow capped peaks made the whole area almost mystical. I was just so thrilled I made it there! A feeling like I was on top of the world, literally!









After having a marvelous time at the peak, I started the most dangerous descend ever on a slippery, snow-filled pathway, always being meticulous in my every single step. After being successful with the demanding gravitation, we headed back to the foot of the mountain but the journey to the park had not ended there.





I proceeded with a leisurely stroll towards the Sinheungha Temple....











And, stumbled upon a magnificent Buddha statue along the way... It was just the most eye-catching figure in the park, perfect for photography lovers!




Indeed, it was a memorable trip to the Mt. Seorak National Park. There were many more things to see around the place and a day was certainly not enough. 


Seoraksan gets a tremendous number of visitors almost every season. But the best time to visit it according to frequent visitors to the place is during the fall season when the leaves turn color in sweet and lovely autumn hues, so beautiful and colorful it is always on canon-perfect angle. During this time, it brings traffic to the surrounding areas to a standstill. 


Give Mt. Seorak National Park a stop whenever you plan to visit Korea. I'm sure you will be delighted to see  what I'm talking about.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...