The world shrank and the only sounds I heard were my breathing and my heartbeat and the blaring Korean pop music. The chilly fingers of the night surreptitiously crept in shrouding all in uncanny darkness while I was on a leisurely stroll at the most stunning ski resort presented before my eyes. Temperature seemed to drop rapidly sending in shivers of penetrating coldness beneath my thick woolen clothing. The frigid night air stung my cheeks pink as I rubbed my numbered fingers adorned with gloves and my toes curled in the comfort of my thick woolen socks.
A mix hullabaloo of excitement manifested my facial expression. I had finally set my foot to the main destination of this winter getaway. Clouds of ski adventure hovered my restless imaginations. I was all hyped up for the next day to come!
Where was I specifically?
I was at Phoenix Park Ski Resort so enough with my descriptive introduction... Let me give you an overview of this featured travel destination for today....
Located seven hundred meters up the side of Mount Taegisan (1,261 meters above sea level), approximately one hour and fifty minutes from Seoul, Phoenix Park Ski Resort boasted a number of facilities including ski resort with twelve slopes authorized by International Ski Federation, an 18-hole golf course designed by Jack Nicklaus for members only, a 9-hole golf course to cater for the public and beautiful hotel and condo accommodations. The resort was also equipped with the first gondola lift in the nation as well as the key lift system that enabled the skier to make the choice among the beginner, intermediate and the expert courses. With eight ski lifts, state-of-the-art cable cars and six conveyor belts to ferry visitors around the park more quickly and efficiently, visitors were sure to be pampered with endless fun and adventure!
Phoenix Park offered various snow activities for all winter sports enthusiasts, adrenalin junkies and visiting families on all scales. The resort had the full advantage of topographical features to satisfy both beginners and advanced skiers. Though most of the slopes were for beginners and intermediates, there's not to worry for all those adrenalin junkies as the ski resort had have enough black diamond runs including Dizzy, Panorama, Paradise and Mogul to keep you wildly interested and defy your guts!
Skiing is both fun and exhilarating but it can be pretty dangerous too with slips and falls often leading to accidents and injuries. Don't take your chances on this if you are not sure you can actually do it. As for me, I had many attempts of trying to learn it the moment I set myself on the beginner's slope. It did result to many crashes and falls and it definitely frightened the heck out of me! It was fun nevertheless. I enjoyed every moment of it. But I reckoned I might not be on this sort of adventure track after all. Perhaps for the fun of sliding down below I would do it again but never would I wish for more than that.:)
How to ski? Here's what I learned from my coach. First of all is to find your balance. I did not seem to have that. I did stand on my skis, put my weight slightly forward (always keeping my balance right), tucked my behind in and bent my knees most importantly, exactly the way my instructor taught me. But the moment I started moving forward and skiing halfway through the beginner's slope, the skis seemed difficult to maneuver to a V-shaped position to put a halt to my momentum and prevent myself from toppling over and crashing to fellow skiers, the worst. I fell as a result of course!
So here's what to remember: Make sure to keep your balance on your skis - knees and ankles slightly bent and weigh over the balls of your feet. Stay off your heels and resist leaning back - stay forward or else you will risk yourself from falling over. Keep your skis straight if you wish to go fast and open your legs sideways and spread out the tails of your skis wider to make a bigger wedge if you desire to keep it slow or cause it to stop. This is not an expert advice by the way so please don't take my words if you are really doubtful about it. It is always important to seek the guide of a professional ski instructor to teach you and to be able to learn skiing the right way.
How to ski? Here's what I learned from my coach. First of all is to find your balance. I did not seem to have that. I did stand on my skis, put my weight slightly forward (always keeping my balance right), tucked my behind in and bent my knees most importantly, exactly the way my instructor taught me. But the moment I started moving forward and skiing halfway through the beginner's slope, the skis seemed difficult to maneuver to a V-shaped position to put a halt to my momentum and prevent myself from toppling over and crashing to fellow skiers, the worst. I fell as a result of course!
So here's what to remember: Make sure to keep your balance on your skis - knees and ankles slightly bent and weigh over the balls of your feet. Stay off your heels and resist leaning back - stay forward or else you will risk yourself from falling over. Keep your skis straight if you wish to go fast and open your legs sideways and spread out the tails of your skis wider to make a bigger wedge if you desire to keep it slow or cause it to stop. This is not an expert advice by the way so please don't take my words if you are really doubtful about it. It is always important to seek the guide of a professional ski instructor to teach you and to be able to learn skiing the right way.
Give Phoenix Park Ski Resort a visit. It is definitely one of the best ski resorts in South Korea to boast from the continent of Asia.