Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Nami Island, South Korea

Love is in the air in Nami Island! This is the first featured travel destination for today.

Nami island is an island located in Chuncheon, South Korea, which name originated from General Nami, a controversial figure from Joseon Dynasty of Korea. Presently known as Naminara Republic after it had declared independence on 1 March 2006, it can be reached by a ferry ride from Seoul.





The island is best known as the filming location of the popular drama series, 'Winter Sonata'. Metasequoia, is where it is specifically located in the island - a scenic, tree-lined path of birches and Korean tall pines. It has a romantic and quiet setting which will certainly make you fall in love - a must go destination for couples especially on a cool autumn season when colorful leaves cover the grounds and pathways as well as on a winter season when the place is just covered with snow. Unfortunately, it was not snowing when I was there but it had left traces of autumn scene that was already captivating and awe-inspiring. With such mesmerizing beauty and lovely scenery, you could only hope to stay and be with your special one, holding hands as you stroll around the neat surrounds of tall, bare trees that seemed dead, and a tranquil environment ablazed with beautiful color.

It was a cold Saturday morning, negative three degree in Seoul. Together with a group of other holiday-makers, we embarked on a journey to our first itinerary by bus. It was a long bus ride from the Incheon International Airport to the island's terminal where we would then be transfered by a ferry ride towards Nami island. Upon arrival, the place was already thronged with many avid visitors going in and out of the ferry. It was biting cold as I endured the bleak and frigid wind swished past my exposed face. I was all covered from head to toe, only a small portion of my face was left unadorned. Well, I needed to breathe somehow... What a silly statement this is! Nami Maid was the name of the ferry we rode on and it was just a horrendously crowded short ride. Here, people were seen getting out of the ferry from all directions, excited to set their feet on the island. I was as well exhilarated!





Cold and piercing wind whistled through my surroundings. A crisp of cool, fresh and invigorating air tickled my nostrils. I began my stroll along the wide pathway surrounded by majestic towering trees that rose like giant pillars resembling an army of soldiers welcoming their master. I was feeling like a princess immersed in my fantasy! A beautiful sight captivated my attention at the distance. A picture of small bridge that cut across the silent lake. This enabled the visitors to get to the other side of the island.







The landscape was dotted with pretty cottages, bungalows, exhibitions, lake, chestnut trees, birches, gingko trees, maple trees and pines. Traces of autumn leaves were still on the ground.










I continued my stroll till I reached the main filming site of the drama series, 'Winter Sonata'. I was flabbergasted right away upon seeing an enchanting beauty I had not witnessed in my entire life! Romance filled the air... if only I had someone to cuddle with while on a leisurely and chilly walk along the brown pathway surrounded by tall and bare magnificent trees. I was immersed in my dreamy world once again! I had never felt such feeling of falling in love with the scenery. I could only imagine I was holding hands with someone. The site was just a perfect place that provided young people with romance, lovers with reminiscence and families with affection. It would have been better if it was snowing. But unfortunately, my visit was too early for winter snow to cover the place. It would have been more of a romantic setting. Below are some of the photos I would like to share to help you picture out the place.  






The air was light and chilly. I trembled slightly as I pulled the thick, brown jacket closer to me. The feeling of winter breeze was just around the corner. Oh, if only it started snowing! The whole place was bathe in dirt colored glow with some intricate details of red, orange, yellow and green hues. What a perfect place for photography lovers! I managed to capture a few scenic areas of the filming site. A day at this island was certainly not enough. I would love to book a place to stay in the island if given another opportunity to visit it once again.  






I stumbled upon a picture of the stars of 'Winter Sonata'. They looked obviously in love with each other. Koreans are beautiful people and the main actors of this drama series namely, Bae Yong-joon and Choi Ji Woo are without a doubt to go crazy for.




Like a leaf floating on Cheongpuyung Lake, Nami island has become rather a blooming tourist attraction, kudos to the creation of  Winter Sonata that chose this place as the filming site. Fans of the drama series throng to this island every now and then.


After spending time in Nami island, we were bound immediately for a domestic flight to Jeju island.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...