Thursday, March 10, 2011

Moments in Time

{this moment} - A Friday ritual - a single photo no words  capturing a moment from my travels. A simple, special, extraordinary moment A moment I want to savor and remember. This moment is introduced to me by Sarah-Jane inspired from her blog Almost There. Check it out it's a really cool blog to visit. 


I love Japanese food! Saying that alone already triggered a rumbling sensation in my stomach. Here in Singapore, Japanese restaurants are everywhere and Singaporeans are one heck of Japanese food lovers! Count me as one of them because I'm a die-hard fan of Japanese food. Least to say, I haven't been to Japan though so one day, I will find an opportunity to visit it. But for today, I would like to share with you one of my favorite Japanese cuisines, often served as the first course in a formal Japanese dining - the sashimi.




Sashimi is the type of Japanese cuisine which consists of thinly sliced raw fish and seafood including Maguro  (tuna), Toro (fatty tuna), Ebi (Prawn), Saba (Mackarel), Ika (squid) and Tako (octupos). Some of you may confuse this with sushi, but it is not. Sushi and sashimi are distinct from each other, in which sushi is associated with the use of vinegared rice, usually topped or rolled or mixed with raw ingredients but for some other types of sushi, they are cooked or may not have seafood at all. So this makes it distinct from sashimi. Sashimi is mainly fresh thinly slices of fish and seafood arranged beautifully on top of shredded daikon and shiso leaves and often garnished with slices of lime and lemon. They are usually dipped into a dish of soya sauce mix with wasabi paste, a Japanese horseradish that comes in a form of a green paste used as condiment for sashimi, before eating them. Wasabi paste is mixed with soy sauce to kill off harmful bacteria that would be present in raw seafood. Some people don't really like its strong flavor but for those sashimi lovers they always live with it. 


So sashimi goes as my Friday moment for this week. I just couldn't resist sharing with you this Japanese cuisine that I had for dinner last night. Do share your thoughts about sashimi in the comment box below. Thank you.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...